Event planners are like builders. Their task is to take a client’s concept or idea and design an event around it. They oversee the entire event planning process from conception to completion, including stage design, technical programming, and event day coordination. They work with suppliers, venues, and vendors to negotiate prices, coordinate staffing for events and more. Additionally, planners create the layout of an event, determine the theme, and design marketing campaigns for the event.
What Are the Skills That an Event Planner Should Possess?
Event planning is consistently ranked as the most stressful job in the world. To succeed in this industry without losing their minds, event planners must be able to multitask, manage stress, and remain cool under pressure. Other planning professionals such as event coordinators and managers can also benefit from these essential skills.
- Time Management: Time management is one of the most valuable skills that seasoned event planners have. The planner must prioritize the tasks on their list and be able to manage how much time is needed to complete them.
- Creativity: To meet client demands, stay within budget guidelines, and provide an unforgettable experience for attendees of events, event planners must often rely on ingenuity.
- Communication: Developing strong relationships quickly and efficiently is an important skill in event planning. Planners must ensure that all information is communicated accurately and seamlessly, from vendors and venues to clients and suppliers. The primary communication channel between all parties involved with the planning of an event is the planner.
- Delegation: Planning professionals often have to delegate responsibility to multiple coordinators or other event staff. This is why delegation skills are crucial for planning success.
- Attention to Details: The devil lies in the details when it comes to planning an event. Attention to detail can make the difference between a good and a great event.
DA Event Planning is founded by Daniela Alvarez, a wedding planner based in Sarasota, Florida dedicated to creating the most beautiful and memorable weddings for her clients. She is passionate about all aspects of wedding planning, from helping you with the vision and theme of your wedding to crafting the perfect timeline for your big day.